My mother had dementia, and during her care that stretched for well over a decade, I faced many problems. It was tough to see her decline and adjust to it and find suitable ways to support her. I found it challenging to truly accept her situation and to adjust to my own role, and also find a workable approach to care and to keep adjusting it as she kept declining.
Caregiving in India is challenging because of poor awareness about dementia and lack of systems and supports that recognize and help caregivers. As part of my attempt to help other caregivers, I created online resources, conducted trainings, and provided support over phone. In this section I broadly discuss some topics that could help other caregivers. I provide pointers to the online resources I have created on my dementia blog, on English and Hindi websites, and on youtube.
- For caregivers: Accepting the diagnosis, understanding dementia.
- For caregivers: What dementia caregiving involves in real life.
- Sharing Experiences: Dementia Caregivers in India.
- My availability for supporting dementia caregivers in India.
- For volunteers: Resources and Ideas for volunteers helping dementia caregivers.